History of ViaGene
About ViaGene Fertility
ViaGene is a Preimplantation Genetic Diagnosis (PGD) Center based in Malibu, CA. For the last decade we have served numerous independent doctors and IVF Centers in the Greater Los Angeles Area. ViaGene's founder and director, Sergei Evsikov, PhD, HCLD, worked alongside Dr. Yury Verlinsky at the Chicago Reproductive Genetics Institute, where in 1989 they were the first to perform PGD cases in the United States. In 2001 Dr. Evsikov set up the first PGD laboratory in Southern California, at ART Reproductive Center. After parting with ART, Dr. Evsikov founded ViaGene Fertility in 2003.
During the last three years ViaGene has developed Oligonucleotide Genome Screening (OGS). OGS allows for the testing of all 24 chromosomes on a single cell, but unlike the microarray-based methods, it does not use the often unreliable PCR technology. Recently, in 2011, we finished perfecting Express Genome Screening (EGS), a method for screening embryos for gender selection in less than one hour. Since January 2013 we also offer PGD through microarray-based technology as an integral part of our PGD services.
About ViaGene Founder, Dr. Sergei V. Evsikov
- In 1986 Dr. Evsikov produced the first line of transgenic mice for the Ukrainian Academy of Sciences.
- In 1989 Dr. Evsikov performed the first PGD case in the United States while working for Dr. Yury Verlinsky at Reproductive Genetics Institute in Chicago (RGI).
- In 1996, Dr. Evsikov setup IVF-PGD laboratory in Cyprus as a satellite PGD center for RGI.
- In 2002 Dr. Evsikov setup the first PGD laboratory in Southern California for ART Reproductive Center in Beverly Hills.
- In 2003 Dr. Evsikov and Dr. Hall started ViaGene Fertility, the first independent Preimplantation Genetic Diagnosis Laboratory in California.
- In 2010 Dr. Evsikov developed OGS-24, the only method which allows for screening of all 24 human chromosomes on a single cell in 6 hours and without whole genome amplification.
Dr. Evsikov is one of the world's foremost embryologists specializing in pre-implantation genetic diagnosis (PGD) and is the Director of ViaGene Fertility Center in Malibu, CA. Previously, he has held positions as Director of Preimplantation Genetics and Research at ART Reproductive Center in Beverly Hills, Director of Experimental Embryology at the Reproductive Genetics Institute in Chicago, and Senior Scientist and head of Experimental Embryology at the National Academy of Sciences of the Ukraine. Dr. Evsikov has been involved in most of the latest research in PGD, developing techniques and protocols that have become standard in the laboratory. He is the author or co-author of numerous articles and is a frequent speaker at conferences throughout the world.